AMSOIL’s full range of motorcycle products guarantees that your bike is ready to ride.
Motorcycle enthusiasts from all over are preparing for another season of summer road adventures and rallies. Many ask the question “should I use synthetic oil in my motorcycle?” AMSOIL synthetic motorcycle oils are specifically designed to meet the unique specifications of your bike, whether you ride V-twins or metric bikes.
In parade or slow rally traffic, strong, hot-running V-twins generate intense heat. To conduct heat away, air-cooled motorcycles depend on a constant stream of air over their cooling fins. On hot summer days, prolonged idling and stop/go driving will rapidly raise engine temperatures. A motorcycle oil’s ability to provide sufficient engine protection is jeopardized if it cannot tolerate high operating temperatures.
Motorcycle oils can also lose viscosity, or shear, due to the mechanical operation and high heat within the engine. Viscosity loss due to shear is particularly common in motorcycles that share a sump between the transmission and engine. AMSOIL Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil is shear stable, and mechanical operation does not cause it to thin. It does a fantastic job of shielding your costly bike from wear and tear.
AMSOIL Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil performs well in transmissions and primary chaincases, allowing you to use one lubricant for all three areas of your motorcycle. Some bikers, on the other hand, prefer lubricants that are specifically designed for their transmission or chaincase. In these cases, AMSOIL Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid and Synthetic V-Twin Primary Fluid work admirably.
Should I Use Synthetic Oil in my Motorcycle? The Benefits of Synthetic Oil
For those asking the question “should I use synthetic oil in my motorcycle?” there are a variety of benefits to synthetic oils that you must know. Synthetic oils are free of the impurities and molecular irregularities found in traditional oils. Synthetics’ pure, uniform molecular structures impart properties that traditional lubricants can’t match, such as wear resistance, extreme temperature output, and fuel efficiency. This allows you to save money by having vehicles that run more efficiently and last longer.
Traditional lubricants, on the other hand, are made from crude oil. Sulfur, nitrogen, oxygen, and metal components like nickel and vanadium are all naturally present in crude oil and cannot be entirely extracted through the refining process. The oil refining process distinguishes by weight different types of molecules in the oil, which leaves molecules identical in weight but different in structure and reduces their efficiency.
Just a microscopic layer of oil prevents metal surfaces in your engine from rubbing together and causing wear. Because of their resilient base oils, AMSOIL synthetic motor oils form a more stable fluid film than traditional oils. They minimize wear and help you get the most out of your engine.
Vehicle designers are changing engine specifications to meet more stringent fuel efficiency requirements, resulting in engines that run at much hotter temperatures than normal. The average working temperature can reach 235°F, and it can reach even higher temperatures under heavy loads. This heat will rapidly degrade oil, resulting in deposits, sludge, and oxidation.
Benefits of Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil
- For enhanced safety against wear on the transmission gears and compensator, it resists the breakdown of viscosity six times better than Harley-Davidson* SYN31
- Helps keep engines clean and effective by resisting intense heat
- For optimum engine compression and strength, reduces wear and deposits
- One lubricant for all three sumps is more convenient
Withstands Extremely Hot Temperatures
- Designed with synthetic base oils which are naturally thermally resistant to oxidation during the intense heat of summer and heavy traffic that is stop-and-go
- The proprietary additive system ensures that motors are clean and operate effectively in the most difficult conditions
- In an independent test, after 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers) of extreme-heat dyno testing in which the temperature of cylinders reached 421°F (216°C), the piston rings were prevented from sticking and the pistons were shielded from scuffing
Protects Primaries & Transmissions
- To protect transmissions and primaries from wear, this proprietary formula focused on shear-stability resists thinning caused by mechanical operations
- Serves the function of a gear lubricant but without the drawbacks of high-pressure additives
- Provides the ease of using a single lube for all three of the sumps
Reduces Deposits & Wear
- Contains a heavy anti-wear treatment to minimize wear in the most severe working environments
- For maximum engine compression and strength, it is fortified with maximum levels of oxidation inhibitors
Benefits of Synthetic V-Twin Primary Fluid
- Provides a consistent clutch feel as well as smooth acceleration
- Protects against wear on the chain, gears, and bearings
- Assists in the reduction of operating temperatures
- Increases the energy efficiency of the primary chaincase
Benefits of Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid
- Assists in the use of the transmission in a quiet manner.
- Protects against the wear of gears and bearings
- Delivers consistent and smooth shifting
There are three segments in the metric motorcycle industry.
- Metric Touring
- Metric Sport Bikes
- Metric Cruisers
Characteristics of Sport Bikes
Sportbikes (crotch rockets) require lubricants that are compatible with wet clutches and provide consistent shift output. Because of the increased speeds and high RPMs at which riders fly, lubricants with above and beyond foam controlling abilities are needed.
AMSOIL Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil gives you the confidence to drive your motorcycle to its limits. Its advanced synthetic technology improves the responsiveness of the engine while also providing ideal wet-clutch compatibility for increasingly smooth shifting. It lets you comfortably drive your engine toward the absolute limits for full rpm, cornering capacity, and acceleration by manipulating foam.
Characteristics of Metric Cruisers
Metric cruisers, including sportbikes, are characterized by engine responsiveness, strength, and high speeds. Superior handling, ease of shifting, and dependability are also desirable characteristics inherent in metric cruisers. AMSOIL Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil provides excellent wear resistance and quick, deliberate shifting. It encourages peace of mind and morale by avoiding excessive heat and assisting in the cooling of hot engines.
Characteristics of Metric Touring Bikes
Metric touring motorcycles are designed to emphasize the relaxation, luxury, and adventure of prolonged cross-country journeys. By providing superior engine safety, AMSOIL Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil improves durability. Its excellent performance gives you the peace of mind that your bike will work flawlessly over the course of your entire trip. It doubles the drain intervals recommended by the bike manufacturer, giving you a tranquil mind when you’re far from home and can’t pause to change your oil. Wet-clutch compatibility of AMSOIL Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil allows for smooth shifts and a relaxed ride.
Benefits of Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil
- Friction, heat, and wear are reduced
- Shifts that are smooth and confident
- Foaming is reduced
- Provides superior corrosion and rust prevention
*All trademarked names and images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. No affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, is made by their use.
1Based on testing of AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil and Harley-Davidson Screamin’ Eagle SYN3 purchased on 3/19/19 in the CEC L45-KRL, ASTM D445 test.